Tuesday, August 16, 2011


_______________________________________________________________

LET'S ROLL
_______________________________________________________________

Everyone knows that soccer is the main sport in Spain. And it's is. But maybe you don't know that figure roller skating is a sport there too. Yes, the same thing as figure skating, cheesy music and shiny maillots, but with roller skates (quads). I would say that it's better than on ice. Also you can have your nice color rollers :)

I am back row, far left. Christmas exhibition, 1998

In my young years I trained figure roller skating in Spain, with jumps, figures, exhibitions and broken hands included. And now in my adult times I discovered Sparkles! A roller rink in Atlanta. Sundays is their special Adult night. Our roller skating team (Dan "Blades" Ahern, Stevan "Turtle" Chavez , Mike "Help!" Galluci and Lindsey "Snow White" Gerson and me, Didima "Where am I?" Arrieta Martinez) went there with a clean pair of socks each. In the end of a road, with a full parking lot was there Sparkles, our dream. Here is a video of the awesomess of this place and their skater stars (see man with white hat).


Obviously slightly different from figure roller skating, but it does have music and dance at the same time. And maybe shinier outfits at Sparkles.

No comments:

Post a Comment